Keeping the Past Present
Virtual Exhibits for Access and Preservation
This project preserves and tells the story of the Town’s and region’s history. It builds on The Depot’s commitment of “Keeping the past present”.
In 1934 the idea for a women’s club was suggested because the growing Lake Shore development. The club was officially organized in 1939 and became part of the General Federation of Woman’s Clubs in 1941.
The purpose of the group is to support the community. They do this in various ways: partnering with Pine Elementary School; creating and maintaining the Sarah Smith Library; contributing to the Fire, Park, Police departments and the Depot Museum; conservation and beautification of the town; and other humanitarian causes.
Originally meetings were held in each others homes but in the town became the owner of the house by trading property with the National Park. This gave the woman’s Club a place to meet. The club is responsible for it’s up keep. The house is available to the community. Organizations individuals can schedule events there through the town clerk.
Each year the DWC raises funds for outreach projects through the Holiday Marketplace. Members meet weekly throughout the fall to create handcrafted items for sale. Others bake and cook items. Holiday greens, wreaths and swags are also sold. This brings residents and visitors to the Community House for a weekend of real celebration and sharing. Another important community project is producing the Town Directory every four years.
Meetings held on the second Thursday of the month with the exception of January, July and August.